Thursday, January 14, 2016

Night Sounds

There is a steady snowfall today, from smaller flakes to big, medium sized fat ones. We are reaching the part of winter where there is snowfall every day.

Today is a warmer day. It's just above freezing, feels balmy- yet we still have snow, wet and heavy.

Its ping as it hits the new metal roof of the "pony porch" off the barn is very gentle and relaxing as I do my chores for the morning. I bet the horses never tire of the quiet outdoor sounds-- chick-a-dees, rain and snow...

...sometimes in winter the wind yowls loudly all night, and then I imagine the horses wish for some quiet.

I also think the sound of coyotes off in the distant (and sometimes, not so distant) mountains at night must be unsettling to prey animals such as the horse.

But that is more prevalent in summer, when our big Newfoundland is usually standing guard.

No comments: